Butterfly

Butterfly
Butterfly

Saturday, September 8, 2012

My Societal Background

LOL...I see this picture and it looks like some type of bochinche going on.  But it fits for what I am about to express.

Race - Biological categorization (hair, eyes, skin, etc.) 
Ethnicity - Group of racially similar people of similar origin 
Culture - Shared values, ideals, beliefs of a group of people regardless of race and ethnicity
Cultural Identity - Chosen or adopted culture
Nationality - What is the nation they identify as their national origin

Working at where I work and doing what I do; I have learned a lot and I have come from being naive to accepting it all.  We are all born HUMANS.  So although I am "Nuyorican".  If yah don't know a "Nuyorican" is someone born in New York whose parents were born in Puerto Rico.  My roots as I researched and my parents have answered numerous times when asked derived from Puerto Rican, Irish, Italian, African American (my pops side) and Puerto Rican, Taino and Spaniard (my moms side).  Dayuuum! Am a Mutt! Lol.  But anyways I really dislike being asked the questions what are you? (in other words what race or nationality) I always gotta be sarcastic and say HUMAN; because I am of the human race.  Really that is not an appropriate question.  I could never ask a client that.  I asked them the correct terms; what's your nationality, culture and how do you identify yourself in race?  Actually what are you? like so deserve any type of answer, especially a sarcastic one. And can also be answered with another question such as what the eff do you mean?!

So let me break it down for you.  Race- My Skin color is what I like to say beige (tan), my eyes are brown and my hair is dyed.  In other words by societal standards I am disque "White".  Ethnicity-Hispanic/Latina and I use both because I am Hispanic because I come from a culture and place of origin that speak Spanish.  Latina because I am a Spanish female with Italian roots (Italy was once under the Roman Rule and this is where the term Latino comes from).  Culture- I identify myself with Puerto Rican American.  Why, because I share the values, ideals and beliefs of both. I celebrate Christmas cause I am American but I also celebrate 3 kings day cause I am Puerto Rican.  I put up the American flag during the 4th of July cause I am American and I throw up my Puerto Rican flag basically through out the year and attend the Puerto Rican day parade cause I be like pura boricua.  Cultural Identity- I chose to identify myself with what I am Puerto Rican Irish Italian Taino Spaniard African American American Nuyorican! JUST LIKE THAT! DAS IT! Nationality - at the end of the day I am an AMERICAN! GO OBAMA!!

There you have it! Hasta la proxima!

No comments:

Post a Comment